Sunday, March 25, 2007

Nursery Rhyme

The date: 23rd of March. The time: 9pm. The location: at the 59 tram stop at Moszkva Square, Budapest.

A 30 something couple with their 5 year old kid get on the tram shoving in front of me so they can get on first. No problem, I thought. I just didn't understand what the rush was about (there was nobody on that public vehicle). After everyone found their place to sit, got comfortable, and the tram started moving I heard the little kid - sitting not far away from me with his parents - singing, or rather telling something reminding me of a nursery rhyme. Only in this case the lyric was sort of peculiar. It's not what they should be teaching at school or at home. Are you ready to know what it was? OK, here goes... The little 5 year old kid was saying: '

'dirty bastard Gyurcsány, dirty Gyurcsány
dirty bastard Gyurcsány, dirty Gyurcsány'

and said this for a couple of minutes without the parents telling him to stop, or at least to be quiet. I was sitting there terrified of what this country will become if the now very popular radical right and their ideologies (which supports putting politics in places where it does not belong: like in kindergarten and elementary school) get into power. What will 5 years olds start to say then? What will happen to 5 year olds who 'think' differently? And to their parents? To me and this blog...?

No comments: